Scoil Naomh Pádraig Measc
School Self-Evaluation in Literacy
Report to Parents
Naomh Pádraig Measc, Caherleaheen is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Bishop of Kerry. Our focus is on developing the moral, spiritual, physical, academic, aesthetic and cultural aspects of each individual pupil. There are 13 teachers and 210 pupils in the school.
We undertook a school self-evaluation in Literacy during 2014.
This report summarises the strengths that were identified and the areas that have been prioritised for improvement.
Summary of school self-evaluation findings
We collected information from parents, pupils and teachers in preparing this report. We looked at how well our pupils were doing in Literacy. We also interviewed pupils, teachers and parents.
As a result, we have concluded the following
Our school has strengths in the following areas:
• Children’s results in Standardised tests for English are highly encouraging.70% of pupils perform at or above the 70th percentile
• Children report liking and enjoying reading and writing and feel that they are good at it. Many children report reading for pleasure at home.
• Children are generally able to recite, recall and sequence stories orally and in written form.
• Children are able to confidently speak and write about a topic of personal interest.
• Teachers report that they use a variety of teaching approaches including talk and discussion and teacher questioning.
Areas for improvement
We have chosen to focus our attention on three aspects of Literacy over the next school year.
These are as follows:
Area of Focus Timeframe
Poetry writing and appreciation
Begin October 2014
Oral Language Homework
Begin January 2015
Children’s Self Assessment Begin March 2015
Donal O Connor P.Oide